Low Sulphur Wines
Winemakers add sulphur dioxide to wines for its antiseptic and antioxidant properties, preventing the wine from spoiling. However, the sulphur can cause allergic reactions of various types and severity, including hives, headaches, rashes, low blood pressure, breathing difficulties, and anaphylaxis.
Wineries trying to cater to customers with these allergies will often produce “low sulphur wines”. These wines are made with less than half the maximum permitted level of sulphur (from the already lower level allowed for organic wine). The result is a wine that has a much lower risk of causing negative allergic reactions, making it safer for those with minor allergies to drink. Note: There are very low levels produced naturally during fermentation, so there is no true “sulphur-free” wine.
Vintageroots has a wide selection of low sulphur wines, perfect for those who have experienced negative reactions to wine in the past. Thanks to the low sulphur content in these wines, you are safer when drinking.
Subtly perfumed, soft bubbles and nutty green fruit flavours.